Yours To Uncover
Ireland’s Hidden Heartlands and its rural communities are as far from fast-paced living as you can get, yet right on your doorstep, often an hour’s drive, or less, away. With its rich mix of beautiful landscapes, rugged hills, soft bogs, peaceful lakes and vibrant townscapes, welcome to one of the most surprising and unspoilt parts of Ireland.
Find Experiences To Suit You
Tap into the relaxed rhythm of Ireland’s Hidden Heartlands to uncover unexplored tracks and trails, beguiling Blueways, exciting waterside towns and picturesque rural villages. Use our map to discover what each region has to offer. Here are just some suggestions for what you could see and do in the area;
- Viking Tours – Step back 1,200 years and join the Vikings on a replica Viking Ship. Cruise up the River Shannon to Lough Ree or down river to the monastic settlement and round tower of Clonmacnoise whilst hearing live commentry on Viking hoardes, the beauty of the river, its flora, fauna, bird and fish life. Fun and excitement for all the family.
- Athlone Castle – Athlone Castle Visitor Centre is a family friendly tourist attraction in the heart of Ireland. Filled with modern exhibitions, Athlone’s history, people, castle and battles are explored and brought to life. Child friendly multi media displays and interactive games guide the visitor through the castle.
- Roscommon Heritage And Genealogy – County Roscommon Heritage and Genealogy Centre conducts genealogy research for people with Roscommon roots and is located in Strokestown. The County Roscommon Heritage and Genealogy Centre undertakes research into families resident in County Roscommon before 1900.
- Hodson Bay Hotel – Hodson Bay Hotel is a luxurious 4 star hotel in Athlone, located 5 minutes from the heart of Athlone. Nestled on the shores of the majestic Lough Ree, Hodson Bay Hotel offers great accommodation which comprises of 176 bedrooms, fine casual dining restaurants, 10 purpose built conferencing suites, leisure centre and luxurious spa.
- Glendeer Pet Farm – Glendeer Pet Farm is an award winning open farm. It is an unforgettable, interactive experience where you can pet baby animals such as bearded dragons, chicks, rabbits and guinea pigs.The centre is located in Strokestown, County Roscommon and is run by a community-owned company, affiliated to the Irish Family History Foundation.
- Athlone Springs Hotel – Athlone Springs Hotel is the perfect location for you to enjoy a fun-filled holiday or a relaxing break away. Our friendly staff, 68 modern bedrooms equipped with Smart TV’s with Netflix, state of the art leisure facilities with swimming pool and restaurant; all just five minutes away from lively Athlone Town; will leave you spoiled for choice.